Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Winging It


by Mindy Obenhaus

This has been a fairly uneventful week around the Obi household and, trust me, I'm not complaining. Not after the year we've had.

Friday was the one year anniversary of our big move from the suburbs of Dallas-Ft. Worth to our family ranch in south-central Texas.
And after months of renovations, I am happy to say that we are pretty well settled into our new digs. One of these days I'll have to share some before and after photos.

I have to say, I am truly enjoying small-town life. They had a festival this past weekend and it was such a delight to be able to walk the courthouse square beneath the shade of century old magnolia and live oak trees, savoring the music and chatting with friends. Life moves at a slower pace here and that's fine by me.

After savoring some of the festival fare Friday and Saturday nights--they had several food trucks, one of which had some delicious fish tacos--the cooking was up to me on Sunday. I decided to keep thing simple with some grilled chicken wings.

I know I've shared these before, but some things are worth bringing up time and again.

Start with a bunch of wings. You a can buy them already cut, but I usually cut up my own. Whichever way you choose, toss them in a big bowl then add some of your favorite seasoning. I mix my own basic seasoning for meat. It's comprised of kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
I mix up a big batch every couple of months so it's always at the ready.
Then, for the wings, I like to add some smoked paprika.
A good bit of it, actually. I love the smoky aroma and that hint of smoke it imparts to the meat.

So sprinkle those over your wings.
And toss to coat.
Cook on a preheated grill, however the times will vary depending on your grill. Ours cooks with indirect heat and the temp stays at 400 degrees, so I usually do about 12 minutes per side, sometimes less, depending how cooked they are when I flip them.
If your grill is direct heat, don't have them too close to the flame, them monitor them after about 5 minutes. And remember, just because the outside is charred, which sometimes happens with direct heat, doesn't mean that the meat is cooked on the inside.

After the wings are cooked, you can sauce them as you like.
I kept mine au naturel and added some sweet potato fries I'd cooked up in my air fryer. Exactly what I was craving. Especially with my absolute favorite fry sauce. 
Some mayo, a little ketchup and a couple squirts of sriracha sauce.
Mmm, mmm, mmm. Now that's some good eatin'.

Of course, our dogs really love the country life. Remember this squirrel I've shown you a couple of times? The one that lives in the mulberry tree just outside our bedroom.
Yeah, well, Dixie finally discovered he was there.
Now, this is where she likes to spend her days.
The squirrel must have been active when I took these pix, because Dixie usually lays under the tree, occasionally looking up, watching for any signs of movement.

Now it's your turn. If could choose between city or rural life, which would you pick and why?


Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus, lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children, two dogs and countless cattle. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com.

13 comments:

  1. Rural life all the way! I just LOVE the small town environment. That is why I love our church so much. It is a small town church in what I would consider a big city compared to where I grew up. Although I LOVE having the hills just a 20 min drive away. Tonight we went on a hike at Stratobowl. Perfect for when you want to enjoy nature, but don't have time to drive all the way to the forest. It makes me sad when I see the hills closer to town get torn down to build on. I tell my husband businesses could just fill up the empty spaces in the mini malls we have now instead of build, but progress must happen. Being closer to a larger town makes it easier when you need to run to the store! My dad lives in a tiny town called Waverly and it is beautiful. One day we are going to find the perfect tiny town not too far from where we are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, it does seem that nothing stands in the way of progress. Not even mountains. Surely they could find other options.

      I know what you mean about running to the store. Back in the burbs we had everything we could possibly need within a 5 mile radius of our house. Now, it takes me 10-15 minutes just to get to town.

      I hope you and your sweet hubby find that perfect tiny town.

      Delete
    2. Just as long as it isn't too far away from our "big city!"

      Delete
    3. It won't be too far I am sure or we could just build a tiny cabin in the woods!

      Delete
    4. I forgot to say I might try these wings in our smoker!!

      Delete
  2. Mindy, I like both. One thing great about where we live is we can get to smaller towns with cute shops and restaurants in around 30 minutes. Then drive 30 minutes into Atlanta. Best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I can get to the far edges of Houston (Katy) is about 45 minutes, but that also means I have to go through a lot of traffic and I've kind of gotten spoiled not having to worry about that, so those trips are rare. Traffic is the one thing I will never miss.

      Delete
  3. I had to laugh at Katie's comment, since we live in the same city! This is the smallest city we've lived in. :-)

    But it's rural life all the way for me. When we've moved, we've usually chosen a house at the outskirts of town. I need open spaces around me! The expansion Katie mentioned is affecting our neighborhood. New houses are being built...along with new roads, new street lights, new infrastructure, more traffic... I love our house, but I can't wait to change to a true rural lifestyle!

    And those wings look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now have to giggle because this is not rural to me!! Lol I will admit I need a larger store at least 20 to 30 min away no matter what, but away from the busy streets would be nice! I love that people have different views as far as what a "big" city is!

      Delete
    2. Jan, I always thought Rapid City was a perfect sized town. Not too big, not too small. You had most of the popular stores and plenty of choices. But Katie's right, it's not rural. Someday you'll get that cabin in the hills.

      Delete
    3. Katie, you remind me of my youngest daughter who told her husband that she has to live within 15 minutes of a Target.

      Delete