Thursday, February 15, 2018

Amazing Berry Muffins

It was Fat Tuesday.

Pancake Tuesday.

Shrove Tuesday.

The day before Ash Wednesday (yesterday), a day of fast and abstinence in the holy season of Lent. And a day before we were giving up baking yummy goodnesses for the six weeks of Lent...

Salad detail arrives at the farm!

But we had this package of fresh blueberries... and I've been wanting blueberry muffins, so that was my Tuesday indulgence. No Mardi Gras beads... no parades... no craziness... just home-baked goodness here on the farm!

I went to my friend Google... and she replied with a great recipe from Allrecipes.com that I altered slightly... but here's the basic that makes about 12 normal sized muffins.

Best Blueberry Muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix those together. Add in:

1/3 cup oil
1 large egg
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream

Mix thoroughly by hand, but don't go batty doing it. Then mix in 1 cup fresh blueberries OR 1 cup triple berry mix, thawed and chopped because the raspberries and blackberries are sometimes monster-sized.

Fill muffin cups to the top. Add streusel, but don't overload with butter.... which is always a temptation here!  The top pic is the triple berry batch...



And this is the blueberry muffin version!



#mustlovebutter

Streusel topping:

1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/3 Cup flour
1/4 cup butter, softened and cut up

Cut together with pastry cutters or two knives, criss crossing, until well-blended.

Sprinkle over muffins.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 to 22 minutes... 

Eat warm or cold, these are wonderful!



And the blueberry version!


These were as good as promised. We loved them!

And wishing you all a blessed Lent... a beautiful time of faith, hope and love.







11 comments:

  1. Aw, Ruthy, you had me as soon as I saw there was sour cream in the muffin batter. You know how much I love that ingredient. How moist it makes cakes, cookies and muffins... I'm printing this out now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sour cream and the brown sugar were my tweaks... and I loved the way the sour cream softened the dough, Mindy. I'm with you, it's amazing what sour cream does to cookies and muffins and cakes!

      Delete
  2. I love blueberry muffins...but then I saw the triple berry mix. MUST TRY!

    And then the streusel. Yum!

    I'm saving this recipe to my Pinterest board...if I print it out, it will probably get lost before I make it! LOL!

    And I love Allrecipes, too! I love their search engine - just type in the main ingredient (like "chicken"), and you'll get tons of recipes for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Allrecipes is the greatest site for helping give me ideas and thoughts on tweaking... The streusel... Oh, gals, just the addition of the brown sugar streusel was two thumbs up amazing.... it's the perfect addition. We made some without, but the streusel-topped ones were the first to disappear...

      Delete
  3. Reading this while my stomach growls. Have not had breakfast yet and I LOVE muffins. We are getting blueberries in our produce box this week. I now feel the need to bake lots of mini muffins this weekend. I have 2 pans that make 48 mini muffins each! So when I REALLY want to bake I can go all out. My phone is full of bookmarks from All Recipiesl and a few other go to sites as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I knew I loved you!!!! That bite-size is just the ticket, isn't it??? When I worked at Tops Bakery, those mini muffins and cupcakes flew out the door!!!

      Delete
  4. Oohhhh -- yum! I will be making this soon. Love blueberries...and the streusel on top...Double yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, this was like the best blueberry/berry muffin I've ever had in my life.

      AND I'M GETTING UP THERE IN EXPERIENCE IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!! :)

      Delete
  5. You have me at blueberries.......

    Seriously I can't wait until it's berry season again so I can go to my local farmers market for farm fresh blueberries....my mouth is watering......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trixi, you guys have great fruits out there! It's amazing that now, with transport, we can have fresh fruits all year here... not cheaply... but they're available. 50 years ago you got canned fruit cocktail and peaches in February!

      Delete