Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Nothing But a Big Ol' Smile

This year, I'm celebrating the release of my first holiday book.
So it only seemed right to share it with my new church family.
After the Christmas cantata Sunday night, at the annual church-wide Christmas party, they allowed me the privilege of doing a benefit book signing. 
And get a load of this.
The men...
Were just as excited as the women.

It was so cute.
Strapping ranchers buying books for their wives. Okay, so some of the wives came up later to get another book or two, but still. I thought it was so precious. I mean, these are the kind of guys we write about in our books. The heroes who long to make their lady happy.

You gotta love it.

Kind of like this little guy.
Who scampered off soon after I took this pic.
I love how the calves get so furry for the winter. 

Oh, and then there was the "super" moon.
A glorious display of God's glory.

You know, by now my house usually looks like the North Pole threw up.
But things are different this year. Yet despite the frustrations, I choose to find joy in the simple things. Because joy is everywhere. 

Joy isn't about things or feelings. It's not about the twinkling lights or the music.
Even in the worst of times, joy a choice. 
A choice to celebrate being alive, knowing God has a plan for you. 
It's the peace of knowing a Baby came into this world for the sole purpose of saving you.
Looking at life through the lens of joy gives you a different perspective. 
One I know I could stand to look through the whole year through.

How about you?
This holiday season, will you choose joy?

  


Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com  

15 comments:

  1. Mindy, amen on the joy. Christmas is so much more than we make it with the gifts and decorations.

    I keep thinking that someday I'd like to not buy gifts, just take everyone on a trip together. Maybe down the road!

    I love that the men bought books for their wives! I had one once buy one for his wife, then admit he always read them, too. So sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I overheard my husband asking at couple of the men if they were going to read it, too, and at least one said yes.

      You know, I heard a story on the radio the other day. A guy said that they always went to his grandmother’s for Christmas, but by the time he was in his late teens or early 20s, she had dementia. He talked about how she would wrap up things she had around the house and give to all of them as gifts. Like “Oh, it’s the squirrel figurine from the top of the TV.” Then later they would all put their gifts back in their proper places, but still bask in the joy of her thoughtfulness and the fact that they were together. I thought that was a sweet story and loved how he said he missed those times.

      Delete
    2. Sniffle-- that is a lovely story, Mindy. Belongs in one of your books I think.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post, Mindy. It is about the joy... not the stuff. So wonderfully said.

    AND I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT YOUR BOOK!!!! Happy dancing in windy, rainy upstate!!!!!!

    And I want to hug a calf.

    But then I'd have to catch one, and I don't think they're as easily caught as I need them to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I want to hug a calf, too. But they spook so easily. Plus their mamas would have a fit. My nephew go between a cow and calf when he was about ten years old and the mama charged him. Left him with a broken arm and several bruises. So I suppose we should just admire them from afar. Or make sure mama is not around.

      Delete
  3. A Christmas story! I can't wait to read it! What a great start to the Christmas season, Mindy!

    And it could be that those ranchers will be reading your book - not just their wives. One of our air force friends is being deployed next month and is taking a couple of my books with him. I told him to be sure to share them with the other guys/gals on base. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never know, do we, Jan? One of the best reviews on my first book came from a man. Go figure.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely loved this book, Mindy! So many heart tugging scenes and I love how Christmasy it is!

    That moon picture is glorious. I'd print and frame it! And yes, definitely choosing joy no matter what the circumstances is something to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I loved your review. Might need to use parts of it for promo. And you know, the camera never does those moon images justice. I used my best pic, but it wasn’t near as good as the real thing. Kind of like God Himself. No comparison to the real thing.

      Delete
    2. Mindy, I agree. I saw so many moon shots when I was out walking Fenway, but I didn't even bother taking them with my phone because sometimes you just can't capture the magic with a lens. I chose to just drink it in instead.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the book signing and the release. That looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun, Mary Cate. I don’t talk about my writing much, so a lot of people were surprised to find out I was an author.

      Delete
  6. Joy is the way to go no matter what time of year it is. If we look at the good more then the bad we can enjoy life to the fullest and embrace all the great things we have been given by the Lord himself! Last year we started doing a baking day in the Drexler family. When I say we I mean the ladies! Can't speak for the rest of the guys, but you don't want my mister anywhere near a cookie sheet that is to have cookies. I like to embrace it because when I was close to my family I would do that with my mom. The cow makes me giggle. Anytime we see cows in a field my husband has to point them out! Their fur really is pretty when it gets thick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I could really use a baking day about now. That would be heaven. And you are so right that joy is always the way to go. We can be sad or disappointed and still have joy, especially when we remember that God has a purpose for all things and nothing comes into our lives that He does not ordain.

      Delete