Wednesday, November 15, 2017

A Squash Addiction

Hi, my name is Cate and I'm addicted to....

.....SQUASH!

Seriously, have you noticed how many different types of squash are available now?

When I grew up, if we had squash at all, it was pureed butternut that came from Birds Eye in the freezer case.

These days, when my daughter and I visit the green market or Whole Foods, the bounty, the variety is astounding!

I love this particular market because they put out little signs with info on that type of squash.





Love the warning!

Who knew papaya squash was a thing?













So, lately I've been roasting the squash whole and then peeling and mashing and indulging in all the orange wonderfulness. Sometimes I sprinkle on some toasted sunflower seeds for crunch. Yum.

Add caption



But one night, I had a leftover pie crust and I put some apples and pears on it with some cinnamon. Nice, but I froze the leftovers and forgot about them. (HOW in the world did I forget pie?)

So, one night when I was looking for supper inspiration, I remembered the pie. But. much as I wish otherwise, it wasn't really dinner. But then I had the brainstorm to layer on some leftover squash. I figured it was a nothing ventured, nothing lost kind of scenario. It was surprisingly delicious.

This time, I set out to make it on purpose. 

The night before, while cooking dinner, I cooked a butternut and an acorn squash.  



My daughter gave me this cool little seed scooper for a Christmas present one year. It fits right in the well and scoops them out neatly.




Confession - I used my favorite pre-made Oronoco Farms deep dish crust. I pre-baked the bottom layer crust so I wouldn't have to overcook the filling.




Next I layered in the pre-cooked squash and mixed in layers of apple and pear.




I added a sprinkle of nutmeg and cinnamon.

Everything was SO heathy...until I couldn't resist a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar on top of the crust crumbles.


Hmmmm, some nuts would be a good addition., but surprisingly I'm all out.


Voila!


2 comments:

  1. Mary Cate, you are so stinkin creative in your cooking. The only squash I’ve ever cooked is acorn. Mostly because no one else in my house will eat it. Even when I add butter and brown sugar. Go figure.

    So how did your pie turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the same thing as Mindy -- creative in cooking to the nth degree! I look at a squash and think baked with some butter and salt and pepper. And it's always acorn squash. Sigh. I'm so boring.

    ReplyDelete