Wednesday, November 1, 2017

A Look at Brooklyn Halloween

I know it's November 1st, but for today I wanted to give a look back at yesterday. Most years, Brooklynites go all out for Halloween. I'm not sure when the tradition grew so extreme. When I was growing up in Queens, we dressed and trick-or-treated, but it was nothing like this.


That's me in the center.



Usually, the Halloween decorations in my neighborhood rival Christmas for excess.

This year seemed to be a bit more toned down than usual, but there was still a lot to see.

Twinkle lights are not just for Christmas anymore.

Spiderwebs anyone???

Quick, call CSI!

Hope no one needs to get in that house.

See the spider staring at you!




Not a great ad for Amazon food delivery!

Pretty and calm







Some of these colors are more suited to Mardi Gras!

Not even the flowers are safe from the cobwebs.

And one of my favorites, a giant leaf catcher!



But the big event is the Halloween Family Parade.  My kids used to love this! My youngest daughter and I went to see it this year. Can you hear the bagpipes? A little odd at Halloween.


Generally it's just a chance for families to come out in costume and see and be seen. It's always a lot of fun and crazy crowded.




Plus the sidewalks are insane.









Apparently there is no end to ironing!





This couple was brewing something in the cauldron and having an impromptu stoop party.



So what is Halloween like in your neck of the woods???



9 comments:

  1. Oh my stars, the webs and creatures are a riot!

    Cate, I'm so sad that wretched people waved their arm of terror so close to you again yesterday. I am heartsick that this happened, and I know that folks living and working in Manhattan feel especially targeted and that makes daily life kind of tough... because you have to be vigilant.

    Thank you for this look at whimsy! And bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruthy. There was a very heavy security presence. NYPD is fast and thorough. The parade kicked off only 3 and a half hours after the attack, but the changes in security that were implemented within that time saw to it that the people within the parade protected and were able to enjoy the time with family and friends.

      My prayers are with the families of those who lost their lives.

      Delete
    2. I felt guilty that I was glad my family and friends were okay... when so many aren't. When some won't come home. But I love the NYPD. They are everywhere, they are practically ubiquitous and they blend. I know there can be a bad apple here and there, but thank heavens for that police force.

      Delete
  2. Mary Cate, that is amazing. I didn't even have a jack-o-lantern this year. I think I would have steered clear of those cobwebs, though. And you're right, pretty difficult to get to that one house.
    Those folks sure know how to do it up right. Love the couple who simply moved their dinner outside to share. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only decorated one year when the girls were in grade school. I did try the pumpkins and mums on the stoop one year, but the squirrels ate them.

      Delete
  3. I can't even imagine...those are a LOT of decorations!

    A couple of our neighbors string lights and put up the spiderwebs, but most don't decorate for Halloween. It isn't a forgotten holiday - just not as extravagant!

    Christmas, though...well, that's another story!

    The parade looks like such fun, though. A definite memory maker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We definitely have fun memories from doing this when the girls were young. My daughter asked if we could go last night just to experience the air of celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun, Mary Cate! Y'all really do it up big!!

    I died laughing at your ironing comment. :) And also would like to get in on the profits from sales of fake spider webs! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of that, Missy, but it’s pretty cheap. Which may explain why there is so darn much of it.

      Delete