Monday, October 16, 2017

Fun and Frugal Revisited: Quick Roasted Almonds

It is deadline crunch time, so I thought I'd bring back a post I shared five years ago...

WAIT!!! FIVE years ago??? That's right, five years. Now I officially feel old. Very old.

Okay, the pity-party is over! I recently brought this recipe out to help with quick, nutritious snacks to have during my mid-afternoon writing sprint. Make these ahead of time, keep them in a closed container, and there you are! Instant snack!

I'll get back to my writing while you enjoy the healthy look back...


Quick Roasted Almonds


Okay you fit and frugal peeps. Jan here with a recipe that's SO EASY and SO GOOD you'll love it!

Remember, this month I'm sharing recipes that are 1) low cost, 2) tasty and 3) healthy.

Almonds aren't really low calorie, but they're such a healthy snack, you just have to have a few every day. I usually allow myself about 25 almonds a day, for around 170 calories. That way I get the nutrition without breaking the calorie bank.

I made my roasted almonds using a recipe from Spark People, but you can use this same basic recipe to make whatever flavor you want.

So here's the scoop.

Ingredients:

2 cups raw almonds
3 teaspoons olive oil
3 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons lime zest, freshly grated

Preheat your oven to 250 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine the almonds and olive oil until the almonds are coated.

Note: be sure to use raw almonds, not roasted or blanched.

Add all the rest of the ingredients except the lime zest. and stir until everything is well blended.

Spread the almonds out onto a shallow baking pan (or cookie sheet with sides). I like to line mine with parchment paper.



Roast the almonds in the oven for about 40 minutes, stirring once.



Meanwhile, make your lime zest.

I don't have a zester, so I use my grater. Grate the lime peel, both the green part and into the white part, until you have 2 teaspoons.








When your almonds are done roasting, sprinkle the lime zest on right away and stir. Once they're cool, store the almonds in a container.

I really like this cumin/lime blend, but I keep thinking about other yummy combinations, like cinnamon/sugar or garlic/Parmesan cheese.

What combinations do you think you might try?








Jan Drexler loves her family, her home, cooking and just about anything made by hand. But she loves her Lord most of all.

Stop by Jan's website to learn more about her books: www.JanDrexler.com

10 comments:

  1. I love roasting nuts. I love the smell of them, and the taste of them. I need to find a good way to glaze pecans and peanuts with sweetness.... I haven't made these almonds in a while, so I'm glad for the reminder, Jan!

    And praying you through that deadline!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are so good! I love almonds. :)

      And thanks for the prayers!

      Delete
  2. Jan, we love almonds and these seasonings sound like something we would really enjoy. I'm going to have to give this a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to experiment with various flavorings. I'd love to be able to duplicate the smokehouse almonds...

      Delete
  3. I'll have to try this! I'm not a big fan of any nuts (unless they're buttered, as in peanut butter) but my hubby and kids LOVE almonds, so I'll have to try this for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LeAnne, I'm a nut butter fan, too! But I had to laugh. At first I thought you meant nuts cooked in butter. LOL I do love pecans toasted in butter!

      Delete
    2. My mind immediately went to carmelized butter and sugar...and now we're talking decadence!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you shared this again, Jan! I've bought raw almonds a few times by accident. LOL So I could just roast them myself and add in the seasonings for fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this quick, easy and frugal recipe with almonds. I would try some nutmeg along with cinnamon/sugar combination.

    ReplyDelete