Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Playing Catch-Up

Mindy here, and we have been busy, busy, busy here at the ranch. Now that things are getting, somewhat, back to normal, renovation projects at the big house are kicking into high gear.

Not only do we have drywall, it’s been textured, primed and is ready for painting. That’s where hubby and I come it. After pouring over a bazillion paint chips for weeks, we finally narrowed down our selections.
This one should be interesting.
 
Since we’re doing the painting ourselves, we’ve been spending all day at the big house, dragging home late, sore and weary, wondering what we’re going to have for dinner. Needless to say, there’s not been any cooking going on.

However, that doesn’t mean we can’t have a little timeout to relax.

Especially when the annual county fair is going on. We weren’t about to miss the rodeo.
They had steer roping.
 
Bucking broncs.
 
Barrel racing.
And professional bull riding.
Just for the record, don’t ever sign me up for that.

Of course, there’s always something interesting at the ranch. Like a bunch of bored buzzards.

And sometimes we’re what’s interesting. Especially when the cattle think they’re the only ones in the pasture.
Do they look like they've been caught with their hooves in the cookie jar or what?

Now it's time for me to go put my feet up.

NOT!

Not only is there more painting to be done, ACFW Conference is next week!
And I can hardly wait. It's that one time each year when I get to hug the necks of those amazing authors I only get to see once a year.

So now it's your turn.
Will I see you at the ACFW Conference?





Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I can do without the cooking just to see these ranch pics!!!

    What a wonderful sight to see, and the buzzards made me laugh.

    Mindy, I can't wait to see the choices... and yeah, that is a BOLD CHOICE!!!!!

    Wowza!

    I'm so enjoying this walk with you, watching things morph into the new reality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Ruthy, now that you mention it, those buzzards kind of remind me of that scene in the original Jungle Book movie with the four buzzards who sounded like the Beatles.
      "Whatcha want to do?"
      "I don't know. What you wanna do?"
      Okay, now I'm laughing.

      Actually, that bold choice was the boy's. He wanted a red accent wall in his room. Oh, but I do love the color I chose for my office. You'll have to wait to see that, though.

      Delete
  2. I love your reno pics! That great room is truly great! And the fireplace? I'm swooning. Love the bold colour too. I've lived in drab rentals all my life so if I ever get the chance to paint you can bet I'll be choosing Colour with a capital C.

    I can't believe ACFW is next week! Where did the summer go? Can't wait to see all the pics on Facebook!

    Oh -- and I bet the buzzards are all sitting there discussing your paint colour choices. Everybody's a critic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I'm not sure what those buzzards were contemplating, but I bet it wasn't my color choices. ;)

      Most of my,choices have been pretty mild. I've played with color a lot over the years and the red dining room got old pretty fast. So this time I'm keeping things fairly neutral so I can add pops of color-even seasonal-as I please. Still, everything was different and had to flow. Will you be sad if I tell you we painted the fireplaces?

      Today I'm freaking out over ceiling paint. Grr... What was touted as "high-performance" ceiling paint has failed to perform. EVEN AFTER PRIMER AND TWO COATS OF PAINT.

      So I went to our tiny local hardware store and bought a gallon of ceiling paint. Boom! One coat coverage. Lesson learned. And this mega paint dealer will be hearing from me. At least I can return the unopened cans.

      Sorry, y'all. Stepping off my soapbox now.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry for the ceiling frustration!

      Delete
  3. Love the photos! And I love that red! We have some pretty bold accent walls in our house that we moved into last year. The colors were already here, and I decided I like them. So far, so good! I think you'll enjoy yours. Can't wait to see your office!! Thanks for sharing the photos.

    Wish I could see you at ACFW. I won't be able to go this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, you really need to share some photos of those accent walls. Color is the spice of life.

      And I can't wait to see my finished office. I think I've put almost as much thought into that as my kitchen. And that's saying a lot. I can guarantee that I will be spending most of my time in those two rooms!

      Delete
    2. Mindy, when we first looked at this house, I fell in love with the kitchen and the office (as well as the waterfall in the back yard). Those two rooms are very important!

      Delete
    3. Those two are where we spend most of our time.

      Delete