Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Seasonings for the Win

Mindy here and guess what hubby found at the grocery store last week?
I could tell by the look in his eyes when I rounded the corner that these were going into the cart.

They did and we could hardly wait to give them a try. You know what? They were pretty good. Of course, we’re used to cheese flavor on chips, and it was definitely there, but you could taste a hint of heat from the jalapenos and then it ended with a slight bacon flavor. I wouldn’t want them all the time, but I’d still give them a thumbs-up.

Here at the café, we love flavor and seasonings, yet our choices will change with our regions. In Texas, we tend to add a little more heat, while Ruthy the Yank keeps things tasty without anything chipotle or jalapeno.

So needless to say, when I was at the grocery one day and saw the McCormick Grill Mates seasonings on sale for a dollar, I was ready to try something new.
 
As soon as I got home, I popped the tops off of those babies and took a whiff.

Yep, each smelled just like their name, although I’m not a hundred percent certain what bourbon smells like.

When it came time to fix dinner, we were off to the races. Grilled pork chops with the Bacon Chipotle seasoning received high marks from my guys. Both the Smokehouse Maple and the Brown Sugar Bourbon were tasty on grilled chicken thighs, though the Smokehouse Maple had a slightly stronger flavor.

In the end, they were all good enough that I picked up another jar of each one on my next trip to the market. I mean, how can you go wrong with bacon flavor?

Things are still creeping along with renovations at the big house. Last week was filled with exciting things like digging out and replacing a bad sewer pipe and finalizing the last bit of electrical. However, there was one change I could see.

Our new front door was finally installed.
 
Now all it needs is some paint.

This week, sheetrock will be delivered and it looks like the new back doors might be installed. Assuming they arrive on time.

 Whatever the case, I'll just keep enjoying the sunsets.


Now it’s your turn. Are you adventurous when it comes to seasonings or do you tend take a more conservative approach? What are some of your favorites?





Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband and the last of her five children. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 

8 comments:

  1. I'm in love with the door! Gorgeous!

    And I love seasonings, we have far too many here, and we're somewhat addicted... but they're all so good.

    Mindy, I love grilled pork. It's a favorite of mine, and I'll grill it any time of year, even in the cold, windy snow! It's just a marvelous taste...(Kav, DO NOT READ THIS!!!)

    Okay, I've got a houseful today, I am lingering nowhere but on this crazy farm, and must go water my mums... that are coming up for sale this week!

    I will miss them... but I won't miss watering 750 potted flowers by hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 750 plants?! :o You are truly amazing, Ruthy. And I saw on FB that your pumpkins are ready, too. Incredible. Makes fall seem so close. Very hard to imagine when we're dealing with 105 degree heat indexes. With any luck, we'll get an early fall. I'm, that would be October. ;)

      Delete
  2. Love the doors, Mindy!

    I'm really not too much into seasonings. I have Braggs organic mix of 24 herbs and spices, and I like the warm flavors like Garam Masala and Cinnamon. And of course the standard herbs - oregano, basil, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, I have yet to try Garamond Masala. Tell me more about it t and what it pairs well with.

      Delete
  3. Mindy, y'all got me hooked on Penzey's. I've tried a ton of their spices. I think my favorite is Sunny Paris. And I've also tried a couple of those GrillMates. I really like them!

    I love seeing your new front doors in place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Sunny Paris, Missy. Will have to look at that. I do love Penzeys spices, though.

      Delete
  4. BTW, we just bought the fried green tomato flavor chips. They're decent. But to me they don't really taste like fried green tomatoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they never really taste like the real thing, so you must have to judge them as a chip. They've definitely had some interesting flavors lately. And then they've had some weird ones, too.

      Delete