Monday, July 3, 2017

Jan's Power Breakfast

Jan here, wondering how it can be July already!

I love any time of year in the Black Hills,
and summer is fabulous!


June was a crazy-busy month with the release of "Naomi's Hope" and the deadline for "An Amish Nanny's Sweetheart," coming from Love Inspired Historical in March 2018.



And yes, I did meet my deadline!

Over the last couple weeks I've shared some breakfast ideas with you.

The first one was for my super low carb/healthy fats eggs and avocados breakfast.

Click here for this recipe.

And then last week, we went the other direction - healthy carb/low fat - with my summertime oatmeal.

Click here for this recipe.


But for the week I had last week - hours and hours at my computer, working to meet my deadline and still write the story that was on my heart - I needed a power breakfast. Or two. I might have had this multiple times last week...

Jan's Power Breakfast

This breakfast is a combination of protein, healthy fats, and a good dose of super-healthy carbs from greens.

There is nothing like a good batch of greens to get those little gray cells working in the morning!


These are the ingredients I used - 

A couple eggs
A couple Tablespoons of chopped onions
A couple mushrooms - optional, but...oh! so good!
1/2 cup frozen greens, or 2 cups fresh greens

Take a closer look at the greens I use:


I have trouble with fresh greens going bad before I can eat them all, so I keep frozen blends like this on hand. This one is a blend of spinach, kale, and chard. Steam them until they're thawed, then saute them in butter or coconut oil with the mushrooms and onions. Sprinkle on a little salt (just a smidge) and pepper - maybe throw in some garlic - and let them cook until the greens are taking on a wilted feel and the onions are not quite transparent.

Then push the greens to the side of the skillet to keep warm and add your eggs. I like mine fried for this power breakfast.


Once the eggs are cooked the way you like them, put the greens and eggs on a plate. Add your mug of tea (notice that I'm ready for my second cup!), and add your favorite devotional and Bible reading. 

Now that's a power combination that's hard to beat!

What is your favorite power breakfast? Let us know in the comments!


Speaking of great combinations, all three books in "The Journey to Pleasant Prairie" are on sale in their e-book versions right now! Go to my website to order - be sure to look for the e-book version from your favorite retailer!

Go to www.jandrexler.com/books for ordering information.








Jan Drexler loves her family, her home, cooking and just about anything made by hand. But she loves her Lord most of all.

Stop by Jan's website to learn more about her books: www.JanDrexler.com




6 comments:

  1. Jan, this look so good! I have that exact blend in my freezer (I also buy the big containers of the same fresh green mix to use with pasta).

    I love eggs and greens! I usually mix it all together into an omelet. :)

    Congrats on meeting your deadline and on the new release!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Missy!

      Why haven't I thought of adding these greens to pasta? I'll have to try it. :)

      Delete
  2. Don't your babies look pretty all in a row like that? Awesomesauce!

    I tried frozen spinach decades ago (literally) and it was so yucky -- texture and lack of flavor -- that I've never tried them again. Perhaps I boiled them to death or something? Or they have improved freezing methods? I'll have to try again because I'm like you -- can never get through the greens before they start to go bad.

    My absolutely favourite power breakfast will likely make sensitive readers gag. Scrambled tofu and roasted sweet potatoes. The way my daughter makes it though. Even yummy as left overs. Super yummy as a matter of fact. The trick is getting extra firm tofu and a blend of exquisite spices and, of course, kale and some other veggies. D-i-v-i-n-e.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, your power breakfast sounds yummy...if you leave out the tofu! ;) But I'll have to try it with a side of eggs or yogurt for the protein. :)

      I like to steam, then saute my frozen greens. Boiling them seems to bring out the bitterness or something. You'll have to try them again!

      Delete
  3. I'm with Missy. I scramble them all together. My daughter's favorite restaurant in Portland, Me is a coop and she used to always get the breakfast scramble when she was living there. I think it had tofu, but it was mixed greens sauteed with potatoes. Yummy!

    My go to writing breakfast is usually coffee cake and coffee, but I really need to find a better (healthier) choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm...coffee cake!

      Yes, I like these same ingredients as a breakfast scramble, too. :)

      Delete